Thursday, May 15, 2014

Quilting 101: What the Heck Do I Need?

Disclaimer: I am not a professional quilter. I don't have years of experience to back up my claims. I'm an intermediate amateur at best, but I have the passion of an 85 year old women in a quilting bee. A friend has been going back and forth about whether she wanted to give quilting a try, so she asked me what she would need to get started:

These things that I mention, I learned from other quilters. I feel like it's my duty to pass them along to other newbies.

First: Inspiration. It sounds crazy, but what else would cause you to want to make a quilt, other than being inspired my someone, or some insanely gorgeous fabric. I was inspired by a quilt on Pinterest, and the rest is history, as is my spare money.


This is my next project. A Swoon quilt that I'm using Botanique by Joel Dewberry. I'm linking one of my very FAVORITE fabric stores. Their customer service is stupendous and they have a great selection. I'm also a part of their Inside Voice Club.

Basics -  A rotary cutter and cutting mat. These are essential. Don't think that you can use your Fiskars scissors from your junk drawer to cut and piece fabric. Oh Honey, the mess you will make. Many people I stalk follow on Instagram use Olfa for both.  I didn't know this when I started, so I just went to my local craft store and bought what they had. You can do the same, but I'm kind of a follower. If Camillie Roskelley is using it, I will too.

Thread: Aurifil. Just do it. I used Coats & Clark from a local store in beginning. But then I saw the error of my ways. I kept seeing all the quilting rock stars using this "Aurifil." So I got some and have never looked back! Plus, although I have only ever used white, they come in TONS of great colors.

Ruler: I have a 5" x 18" it's a beast. Hard to use. Then I got a 2 1/2" x 18" because "you know who" said that's what she used, and it really is much better. Easier to move around and place.

Pins: For my first quilt I used some large yellow head pins. They were fine. Then I ordered some Little House pins and they are fantastic. They are small, and thin - be careful if you drop them and then can't find them, until your foot does...


Feet: You can use the presser foot that came with your machine. I would recommend using a 1/4 inch presser foot because it has a handy little guide on the right side to keep your 1/4 seam accurate. Now, if you are planning on quilting yourself, I would suggest a free motion foot. This allows you to create literally whatever shape you want when quilting. BUT - there is some much needed practice time before you get all "Meandering Stitch" on your quilt. I would suggest making your quilt sandwich and having a couple or four test runs. 
Depending on the type of machine you have, will depend on the exact foot type you need.

Machine: I have a Bernette 7. It's the little sister of Bernina. I wanted to invest in a Bernina, but at the time it just wasn't possible, so this was the perfect solution. I love this machine. It can be difficult to quilt on, as it doesn't have a long arm table attachment, but overall I love it, and will definitely upgrade to a Bernina when possible.


White Material: Yes, it needs it's own section. It is likely that you will need some white material for the background on your quilt. I've used one kind, and it's all I will ever use. I buy it by the yard(S) and keep it in stock. Bella Solids Bleached White 97. She uses it, therefore I do. But I can speak from experience that it is really a lovely white. Creamy, but not yellow, and not Bright white.

Online Help: This one is pretty important. I would HIGHLY recommend enrolling in a Craftsy course. They are not expensive. You can watch the videos over and over and over for the rest of your life. Once you've paid - the lessons are yours, forever. They have a great variety, depending on what you are seeking. And honestly, I watch them all the time. I'm constantly inspired by watching someone else quilt.


Storage Space: If you are like me, then fabric hoarding will become a problem. While my inspiration for quilting started with a quilt, it's the fabric that has solidified our relationship. I like it...a lot. I buy it ... a lot...on the sly, so my husband doesn't really notice how much I have. You'll want a space devoted for your fabric - mine is hideous right now. This is just one cube, there is more.  But even in it's messy state, it's beautiful. Such is life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment