Monday, May 26, 2014

Current Projects and Crafter's ADD

I'm a one-project-at-a-time crafter. I see posts on Instagram about ladies working on multiple quilt tops at once, and I just can't do that. Don't get me wrong, there are times when a quilt top is uninspiring and I want to throw my hands in the air, but I stick it out. One at a time. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm the tortoise. 

I recently finished a baby quilt and tucked my machine away, knowing that we would be leaving for the US for two months. I didn't really want to start anything new, and not finish. But, I got the itch. I blame IG - @saracecilquilts more specifically. Go follow her. She'll temp you to sew stuff. 

Anyway, she was starting an "Along." I've never "alonged," but I've been curious. She also happened to be using the Adorn pattern from the Simply Retro book. I wasn't doing anything, it looked quick, I succumbed to the pressure. 

I will say, it was quick. There are some ladies out there that had their Adorn block done, in hours. Mine was more like 2-3 days. It's a one block, mini quilt, to Adorn your wall. The triangles were very scary, but I did it. And I really like it. IG is great because you can take a picture of your WIP and ask questions. I now have a better method of handling those triangles because of that community. Check out #adornalong and you will be so amazed by all the beautiful work out there. Hand quilted perfection. 



I'm actually going to try and hand quilt this one. I've never hand quilted anything, but why not? I'm taking it home for two months, and I will be without a sewing machine, so no time like the present, right?


I was feeling pretty good about that Adorn quilt. It was a satisfying piece to complete. I tucked my machine away, again. Then Joel Dewberry's Botanique was calling me. I just HAD to know how easy or hard a Swoon block was to complete, so I cut enough fabric for one block...and then two.



The first one I made was great. There is a mistake in this block, but I love it. I don't think quilting is about perfection. It's not for me anyway. I think if someone would pay me to make quilts to give to others, I would. Hands down. I love to make stuff for people.

Then the second block happened. And let's be honest. I do not like it. The Ikat design looks horrible when it's cut up. At least on this block it does. I really had to stop and reassess. I changed up some of the other fabrics to provide more contrast for each block, hopefully I will like it once the whole thing is complete. But let's just say, this blue Ikat block is a "bottom - left corner of the quilt- block."




Every day I'm inspired by the IG community. This picture has inspired me to take up crocheting again. Do I need to crochet? No, but it's like crafter's ADD. I see pictures, I'm completely inspired, and I MUST try it. Sure I'm knee deep in fabric, but what's one more hobby? Once I figured out what type of yarn this was, I was on Pinterest creating a crochet board with Sunburst Afghan tutorials. I went online and looked where the yarn was sold. It took a lot of will power to not go ahead and order everything I need...but I took a breath, and decided to wait until I got to the US. Then, it's every man for himself. Seriously, those colors are amazing. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally get what you're saying. I also do try to be good and finish what I start, it's just that there are so so many inspiring people that my hands keep itching to make stuff!

    ReplyDelete