Wednesday, May 27, 2015

13 Quilts: Ode to Camille Roskelley

I was on the treadmill this morning and I guess like some people have good ideas in the shower, the treadmill was the place for me. I had brought down my Simply Retro book just in case my phone died (which was at like 10%). As I'm flipping through, thinking about each quilt and what fabric I would use - I had an epiphany. What if I quilted my way through Simply Retro, like Julie did with Julia Child's cookbook. Genius, right? 

I have a list so long of quilts I want to make, a hoard of fabric that grows with each trip back to the US, and a serious case of Quilter's ADD - that often I find myself at a loss for what to make next. Problem solved! Follow the book. 

Instagram is THE social media outlet; it's quick and easy and voila! You snap a picture of your quilt and done! I think for this journey, I'm going to blog and IG. Is this adventure going to teach me anything? Who knows? Lessons to be learned, fabric to be used, etc. I don't know what, if anything, I will get out of it (other than some fabulous quilts) but, I'm excited. If you want to join me, great! I'm not going to do an official QAL - just a girl and her machine - making 13 quilts. #thelinenfox13quiltsandsimplyretro






The first quilt in the book, is Swell. LOVED this one from the beginning. But I'm unsure what to make it out of, so I'm skipping #1 and going to #2. 


Retro: Honestly. Didn't like this one at first. But when I decided what fabric to use - well, let's just say, I love me some Navy Pin Dots!


The rest of the quilts will be made strictly from my hoard of Bonnie and Camille fabrics. I love them, they are gorgeous, but they need to be used and loved. And really, it's only right to use them for this adventure.




***Disclaimer: This is not my entire fabric stash. Just a sample, no need to cause a riot or anything! And who knows what is being stored at my mom's house to take back in July!***

7 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! This is such a great idea! I have Camille's awesome book and have not used it enough. It will be fun watching your progress! I follow you on IG too! lisa12822

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa!

      I feel the same. I've made a few, but I definitely am looking forward to this challenge!

      Delete
  2. Someone did this a few years ago. I remember seeing a group on Flickr, I think. I have that book and love it too. I've made Swell twice with scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer -

      That's exactly what I'm thinking for my Swell. I have bags of scraps that I need to weed through!

      Delete
  3. There are some great quilts in that book, it's a great challenge - I would like to do it too - I think Blue Elephant Stitches may be doing the same thing. I hope the two of you motivate me to jump in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melodee -

      You should join me! I'm not starting until August! Who is this Blue Elephant? Is she on IG??

      Delete
  4. Funny!! Jolene from Blue Elephant Stitches is doing the exact same thing! I did a blog post about the idea a few days ago and I've started a group on Flickr (Quilt The Book) and a hashtag on IG, #QuiltTheBook. Anyone can join and quilt through any book of their choosing, at their own pace. I'm working through Denyse Schmidt a Modern Quilts. It's really fun to know exactly what you're going to make and to only have fabric choices to make :)

    ReplyDelete